Monday, January 16, 2012

Caution: Shameless Self Promotion


As someone who has always found herself writing, November was a big month for me professionally: my first article was published in a magazine!

I’ve always been a writer. I think my love of writing beyond homework assignments started when my dad got a laptop for work. It was our first computer. I was hooked, and keep in mind there was no Internet back then. Yes, I’m old! I still have the first story I wrote. It was a satire about my family that contained mostly true material, but with some embellishment. I’m pretty sure I was not their biggest fan during these times. Any conversation that I heard, I would incorporate into my story.It was a long, hard summer. 

Here it was, a normal Wednesday afternoon in November. I was working from home and saw that the November issue of Her Kansas City was at newsstands. I had already mapped out the multiple locations listed on their website where you could pick up the new women’s magazine. I quickly made my way to World Market to pick up a copy….or 20.

As I walked in the front door of World Market, there they were, a beautiful stack of Her Kansas City magazines. I picked one up and then scanned the inside table of contents to see where my store was. I shrieked with excitement as I turned to my feature story on tailgating. I’m pretty sure the lady who was in the lobby with me thought I was absolutely crazy. After I stood there and read the article I had just written a few weeks ago, I flipped to another article that was written by a good friend of mine. This was unbelievable! Two girls who met while working in the trenches of a law firm marketing department had managed to get printed in a magazine…and not to mention, the same issue. This was so exciting as I looked at the Contributing Writer section. There they were, our names in the same column. Christy Moore and Wendy Drochelman never looked so good on that shiny paper in the beautiful sunlight coming in through the windows in the lobby of the Westport World Market.

After I read through the articles that Wendy and I both penned, I casually looked over my shoulder to see who was around and grabbed about 25 copies of the magazine. I didn’t know if I would get a chance to write another article, so I was going to make sure everyone I knew had a copy of this one. I mailed them to family members and friends. Every best friend got a copy. I gave them out to anyone who I thought would find them exciting or interesting. I was going to do whatever I could to spread the word about this new magazine. Not only was I writing for it, but I was a fan of the content and message. If you haven’t heard of this magazine check it out at http://herkansascity.com/.It’s a local (KC) magazine offering intelligent, inspirational editorial content. Check out the section “Find Her” to see where you can pick up a copy.Trust me, the Confessions is worth picking one up. They are hilarious….and so true.

On a side note, I still get this excited every month when I see my article in print and I still make the trek every month to World Market where I pick up a generous handful of magazines that I still mail to those who don’t live close and force on my friends. Want to see what all the fuss is about? Check out my columns at http://herkansascity.com/her/christy-moore.




No comments:

Post a Comment